Tuesday, February 28, 2012

St. Patricks Day Fun

St. Patrick's Day falls on a Saturday this year and since I always try to cook a fun meal that day I think that this year I will try breakfast instead of the usual corned beef dinner. Here is the menu I plan to prepare:

  1. Shamrock Pancakes: these are simple just prepare your favorite pancake mix either homemade or store bought and then dye your batter green. There are two ways to serve these, either use a shamrock cookie cutter and shape them after they are cooked, or a less waste full way is to make mini pancakes and then just lay them out on the plates in the proper shape.
  2. Rainbow fruit tray: this is a simple arrangement, you just lay out the fruits of the appropriate color on the tray to build your rainbow. There are several options for each color. Strawberries, raspberries or watermelon work for the red section, oranges or cantaloupe for the orange, pineapple for the yellow, kiwi or green grapes for the green section, blueberries for blue and purple grapes or blackberries for the purple section, then use bananas to create your clouds.
  3. Green beverages, simply add food color to juice or milk.
  4. I will round the meal out with some turkey bacon or perhaps I might try to dye some turkey sausage green.
If you are looking for another fun way to celebrate then you could try this fun leprechaun hunt idea located here: http://www.ehow.com/how_2157022_hold-st-patricks-day-leprechaun.html

2 comments:

  1. These are great ideas! Even though I'm part Irish, the smell of cabbage makes me sooo nauseous, and corned beef is too fattening! I am so making St. Patrick's breakfast (minus the blood pudding - Gross!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx, I love corned beef and cabbage, but I am watching calories so this is a much healthier option!

      Delete